Grey fluff at the base of bum feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Redberry, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Redberry

Redberry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Lincolnshire
    Hi!
    I am new to this forum, and am very pleased to have found you. My first 6 chickens were exbattery hens - all fantastic characters. I now have only one remaining of the exbats, Dizzy Rascal, and she has taken very well to the 6 new pullets that we bought 6 weeks ago. She must be about 4 years old now, the vet tells me that thats about the span for an exbat. However, she is still mostly well, and intermittently lays a ginormous egg, like a ducks.

She is a bit lazy now, and isn't too particular about her preening and dust bathing. So, to remove the caked on plop from her bum, last week I gave her a warm bath. She seemed to enjoy it - it was a warm day, and I carried her around in a towel for 15 mins before putting her down in the garden and all her feathers fluffed back up. However, while I was bathing her, I noticed what looks like grey fluff at the base of each bum feather, that would not wash off. Today, she seems miserable though. Hunched up and uninterested. I checked the pullets, and there was no grey fluff. Has Dizzy got some sort of parasite, or is this fluff normal for a mature bird?

Very grateful for any help/advice

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If the grey fluff looks like what is in this picture (not my picture, "borrowed" from the internet) [​IMG]
    then I would say you have a lice problem. If you search "treating lice" you will get good advice on how to get rid of them.

ETA - [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. Redberry

Jul 2, 2011
    Lincolnshire
    Thats exactly what it looks like! I have been so paranoid about redmite, i missed this one - thank you sooooooo much! I have lice powder, should I separate her from the others, ie do they live on the bird or in the housing - she sleeps in a seperate hut, by choice, but mixes during the day?

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would suggest just treating them all at the same time. That way if the other chickens have any creepy crawlies on them you can catch it early. I would also suggest treating their coops just to avoid reinfestation.

5. Redberry

Jul 2, 2011
    Lincolnshire
    Thank you so much - off to do it now ......

6. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't forget to change your bedding, treat the perches and also the nesting boxes. I have battled lice before, urgh...[​IMG]

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    And retreat in about 10 days. The treatment does not get the eggs, so you need ot get the new ones that hatch out.

Good luck! It is a pain that many of us share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by