Greyfields goat milk & cheese production...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greyfields, May 14, 2008.

1. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    .... will not be expanding this year. Fourth buckling in a row and we're done kidding. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He came in the night at some point. Mother and kid are doing well and he had already stripped her, so is eating. Heading out to give him his BO/SE and navel dip at lunch time. Well, I guess it's OK since I really love my buck and didn't want to get rid of him anyway.

Here are the other boys. "Little Arlo" who is completely black and gorgeous, just like his father. He was born 3/25/08. In the background to the right is another intact buckling born to the black & white spotty mother. He was born 4/11/08. We kept him intact because his mother is a phenomenal milker. He's all black like dad, except for white ears like his mom.

[​IMG]

And finally, Huck. He's a wether and is already going to a love home to be a brush goat.

[​IMG]

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Awww...better luck next year for doelings.
    What do you call the color or color patteren of the little spotted buckling? I go ga-ga everytime I see one like that. Even bought a bottle baby like that one at a livestock auction. But never got him out of the cage. A woman came up to me after the sale and gave me twice as much as I paid for him. She said she waited all evening to bid on him and then missed seeing him sell. It was her 4 year old daughter with tears in her eyes that got to me....lol. [​IMG]
    You have some beautiful little bucklings...too bad your so far away...[​IMG]
    Carrie

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    AWWWWWW........MAN...............Better luck next year with the doelings. That little wether the spotted one, he can come here and live. I have 3 wethers that are quite spoiled.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are all cute but Huck is a gorgeous boy!

5. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:I have no idea what to call him, except "Spotty". There is no recognized color or pattern for Nubians which can be any color or pattern. So that's a nice feature. I figured that no one would want a patterned buck like that since the breeding results would be way too difficult to predict. So, I've kept only solid colored males intact so far. The spotty one sold (to our accountant) within about 2 seconds of meeting him. [​IMG]

6. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Huck is going to live with "Tom" and "Pip" out in Eden Valley near us to be brush goats. We're fostering Pip at the moment who is a black alipine/nubian cross with a white 'pip' on his head. She's also getting a doeling and will be using our buck (Arlo) next year.

7. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    He is very handsome.

I just wonder tho....they've done some research and have come up with this theory that a woman's breakfast determines the sex of the baby. Wonder if this would work with goats?

Just a thought?????

Sometimes I have those and have no clue why.

Tracy

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Handsome boys you have there - and the pattern in question is called moonspotting...

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    It just must be something about goats, they seem to enjoy throwing more bucks than does. My friend breeds Nigerian Dwarfs, dropped at least(!) 20 kids last year and only a single doe. LOL This year she has already dropped about 12 and only 2 does(Which she claims aren't going anywhere!). It must be a goat thing.. but then again, when we chicken-people are hoping for pullets we end up with a ton of roos. LOL Murpheys law in action. Karen(Nigerian Dwarf breeder) has had all triplets so far this year.

-Kim

10. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    I just had my first birth for the year, and she was luckily a she. I have only had 2 births at my place so far, and both doelings, so, I hope I continue my lucky streak. of course my hubby is hoping for bucks because we will sell those, so maybe that is why!! I wish you luck next season though!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by