Greyhound info wanted!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have posted a different thread on here asking what kind of dog would be good for my situation.
    Someone suggested greyhounds.

Id like to get all the info I can about them, behavior and such.

Also, My friend and I are in the mist of an argument. I brought the greyhound subject up to her, and i mentioned the racetrack, and how there might be a greyhound rescue group near by that I could adopt from.

She started arguing that if i got a dog, it needed to come from the HA , not "breed shelters". I see no difference, it is a dog that needs a loving home.
    What are your views on this?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    The woman I used to work for has rescued 2 or 3 greyhounds that used to be race track dogs.

They are very well behaved but they need room to run (just for the doggie fun of it). She lives in a house in the suburbs. So once a week, she takes them to a friend's who has some fenced acreage where the dogs can run loose.

Personally I think rescueing a dog is the way to go. But I also believe you still have to a pick a dog that matches your lifestyle. Don't pick a high energy dog that needs to be exercised regularly if you are a couch potato ...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    You should PM greyfields. He has two rescued greyhounds and they are as sweet as kitty cats [​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    My view is that greyhounds are one of the most wonderful and greatful dogs you can ever own! I always forget to mention them to people and if eel i am doing them a dis-service! who ever metnioned them to you is wonderful! LOL!

Your friend is silly. I undersatnd where she is coming from but for greyhounds its different...these dogs WORK and get hurt and in some cases are severely abused just for human ignorance (such is GH racing). These wonderful souls who have rescue organizations for them, see the suffering these dogs go through and BEG the breeders to hand them over to them instead of put them to sleep.

Where as breed specific rescues, pretty much they are dogs taken out of normal shelters given a second chance by being put into a breed category they are or possibly are. I kind of like them, btu then again i dont as i think it's cruel to only "rescue" specific breeds over other dogs, however some pepole just have a passion for a specific kind and i guess they could defend themselves by saying "well you only rescue this type of animal WHY dont you also rescue this type of animal as well?" So by saying that, like people who rescue horses, someone could ask "why dont you rescue birds!?" i guess it files down to what people are passionate about and what they specialize in.

Greyhounds are AWESOME....they nussle, are obediant, and the rules of keeping a rescue are pretty simple, if you dont have a fenced in yard, no off leash, you have to be careful with them around small dogs and cats (because they may confuse them with their decoy). I'd LOVE to adopt one one day and I hpe to once im in my first own home...for now though I have my three pups [​IMG].

edited to add that most greyhounds are retired, and ARE couch potatoes [​IMG] however just like any dog they need room to run even toy breeds do.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  5. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I think adopting a retired racing greyhound is ideal. A lot of organizations have rehomed them. Actually the racing greyhound is not the high energy dog a lot of people think they are. The main trouble is getting used to a home enviornment as most spend their time caged until time to race. From what I heard most of them are real couch potatoes. The sighthound is a excellent dog if you want a breed that is quiet. From the few of them I have petted I found their coat extremely soft unlike any other breed I have encountered.

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:^Hotwings, i agree 110% the ones i've met astonished me...tehre is no breed out there just like them. The only breed I can think of that I feel acts simliar to them in temperment is an older rough coated collie. Layed back, quiet, obediant, LOYAL, COUCH POTATOES etc. Usually whenI meet htem they're crashed beside their owner, or standing like a statue waiting to be petted.

A few i felt actually had a slightly wirey coat but i've also felt some that ARE very soft. [​IMG]

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Greyhounds make great pets.
    The ones retired from the racetrack are usually still pretty young. (usually less then 5 years old)
    If you decide to adopt a greyhound, I would go through a rescue that just does greyhounds.

They can be a bit harder and more stubborn to train then some other breeds,but in the end its worth it.

Some of them are still active once they are retired and tohers become lazy. it all depends on the dog.

Sometimes they dont always take so well with other pets,but some do with no problem.

They are very sweet dogs.

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/about/about.html general info

http://www.bhamdogs.com/adoptGreyhound.html North AL

http://www.victoryland.com/adoptGreyhound.html Central AL

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  8. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    I have a rescued greyhound, and had 2 previously who now live with ex-BF but I take care of them when he goes on vacation. I also foster them for our local adoption group. They are fabulous dogs and very couch-potato as others have said. A fenced yard is best but they are NOT high energy at all. They are "short burst" dogs, not endurance dogs. They are gentle, loving, friendly, mellow, easygoing dogs. Initially you may have to teach them how to go up and down stairs since they have never seen them at the track.

I highly recommend them for someone who wants a low maintenance dog. No grooming/clipping required. They do well on their own in a crate all day because they have been used to that at the track.

I'm confused about your friend's attitude. Estimates are that 15,000 to 30,000 greyhounds are put down every year. Many never recorded. Most are put down between 1 and 5 years of age. They are put down when they stop earning $$$ for their owners because they don't race as well or they get injured. Some are killed because they never have the prey drive to be good racers. They all need homes because just like shelter dogs, they are going to be put down if not adopted. What's the diff with a shelter or a breed specific rescue? The GH rescue groups don't advocate racing, they just provide a means to get these dogs adopted. Kind of like the battery hen adoption group in the UK.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have! Otherwise I'll just rave on about GH's all night...
    Claire

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

herechickchick (Adam) works with greyhound rescue in Tennessee. He may have some information for you.

10. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a few small animals. Rats , ducks, goats, and a mini schnauzer. But all but the schnauzer are penned in, so i shouldnt have a problem, should i?

Also, I have 5 acres, but it is not fenced in [​IMG] So could I just keep them on a really long lead? I love to run with my dogs. Also, isnt there a special collar designed for greyhounds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by