1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grief

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaBell2001, Mar 29, 2016.

1. MaBell2001

MaBell2001 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Indiana
    I am beside myself with grief. Someone left the door open and my dogs came in and ate all my babies. :(

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Pixijayne

Pixijayne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    Oh that is heart breaking for you .......

Bad Dogs !!!!!

4. sphinxface

sphinxface Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    That is the worst sounding thing ive ever heard im so sorry...!

5. 235chickens

235chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    so sorry
    [​IMG]

6. Bumble 9

Bumble 9 New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    Nebraska
    I feel so bad for you. We lost a two week old chick today in an accident when she tried to fly out of my daughter's hands and the dog jumped to catch her. The chick was just too fragile for her dog mama wanna be. We've been real careful and will be even more cautious now. :(

7. MaBell2001

Mar 26, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks. :( we did go out and get more. Trying to want to enjoy them. Sigh

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so very sorry for your losses.... big hugs to you ((()))). I have a year old Queensland Sheppard cross and she always tryst to herd everything. my chicks come in a couple of weeks and I'm going to have to watch her like a hawk. she even chases butterflies..sigh... it's not going to be easy teaching her not to get the chicks... she jumps at my adult hens as it is... it's tough trying to get them to change their nature I know. are you going to try to train the dogs to keep away? I've got mine to the point where she will look after the hens. I will say let's go check the girls and she will go look into the pen. when my back is turned she still jumps at them every now and then though..sigh...it's not going to be easy.

9. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It hurts a lot to lose babies, especially so tragically. You have good company. We've all lost our share of chicks, and we understand the pain.

Just know that it hurts a bit less each day. It helps that you've got new babies. Focus on them and try to do something about that door so it automatically shuts so this can't happen again.

10. MaBell2001

Mar 26, 2016
    Indiana
    We are finishing the garage....this door leads to the dog yard.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by