Grieving mama hen

KaylaShelley

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
I had two mama hens (Sharpie and Midnight). something got the babies of Sharpie. She has been searching for her babies for a couple days now. Today, another hen hatched out a baby and Sharpie is walking all around her trying to see her baby. I think she is looking for her babies still.

I have another baby chick in my house that was abandoned and wondering if this grieving mama hen would accept it, even though her babies were two weeks old and have been missing for a few days now. Any thoughts on trying to put it under her at night?

I had two mama hens (Sharpie and Midnight). something got the babies of Sharpie. She has been searching for her babies for a couple days now. Today, another hen hatched out a baby and Sharpie is walking all around her trying to see her baby. I think she is looking for her babies still.

I have another baby chick in my house that was abandoned and wondering if this grieving mama hen would accept it, even though her babies were two weeks old and have been missing for a few days now. Any thoughts on trying to put it under her at night?
Sounds like a great idea. Put it fully under her when its completley dark at night.

Sounds like a great idea. Put it fully under her when its completley dark at night.
I have given her and another hen chicks before so at least that part isn’t all new to me! I just wonder if there’s a discrepancy in age and if she just lost hers if she would be open to trying to mother this lone chick. It’s so sad to watch her :(

I have given her and another hen chicks before so at least that part isn’t all new to me! I just wonder if there’s a discrepancy in age and if she just lost hers if she would be open to trying to mother this lone chick. It’s so sad to watch her :(
Chickens are known to mother all kinds of birds, even if they are not their own. I do believe it will make her happier and help her to have a chick to care for. My broody hens love to take on other chicks including the ones hatched in the incubator.

Chickens are known to mother all kinds of birds, even if they are not their own. I do believe it will make her happier and help her to have a chick to care for. My broody hens love to take on other chicks including the ones hatched in the incubator.
Thanks! We put the chick down in front of her yesterday and she instantly started to mother. She has wandered away outside of the coop a couple times, I think she’s just adjusting to this one being a wee baby and not older like her other ones but she’s keeping it warm and happy, so I’m exceptionally happy too!!

Thanks! We put the chick down in front of her yesterday and she instantly started to mother. She has wandered away outside of the coop a couple times, I think she’s just adjusting to this one being a wee baby and not older like her other ones but she’s keeping it warm and happy, so I’m exceptionally happy too!!
Thats great! 🥰

That's great! Sometimes they reject them so its better to be around and watch what happens.

Back
Top Bottom