grimy eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by operator16, Jan 19, 2011.

1. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    It sounds strange. I have 12 wonderful gals that are all laying as of this summer. I keep the coop and nests spotless. I collect eggs at least 3 times per day and spend lots of time with my chickens. I have never had a chicken poop in the nests. I have one EE that has been laying a grimy egg each day. It comes out all spotted with what looks like little, grainy, brown, drops of poop. I've actually seen them come out of her this way. It's like it's been paint splattered. Within a few seconds it is dry and the poopy spots look very chalky. However, if I get a wet paper towel and try to wipe it down the color comes out and it reminds me of a robin's egg although much larger.

She's a healthy, happy, social, bird that eats and hangs out with everyone else. All the other eggs I get are spotless.

Why are her eggs like this?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If she used to lay eggs that looked the same as your other birds' then it might be an indication of a problem. Any kind of sudden change like that might indicate a problem. Lack of vitamins or minerals maybe? I'm just guessing. But if she's always laid eggs like that then I'd imagine it's completely normal. I have 13 ISA Browns (3 from one local breeder, 10 from another) and their eggs are not uniform at all. One of them lays massive eggs with dark brown speckles on the fat end. One of them lays massive eggs with a kind of dusty looking chalky bloom. One lays eggs with funny little hard lumps on the pointy end. A few of them lay eggs that are much darker brown than they should be. I also have an old Marans hen who lays really dark eggs but with a pale chalky patch on one side. Looks like they're sun-bleached or something. The speckles on the ISA Brown's egg won't scrub off but the chalky band on the Marans's egg does, along with all the rest of the dark colouring. I think your hen is probably fine.

3. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Gypsy,

Thanks for the note. My 12 are different breeds as well and all lay a different size and shape egg. Many of them also lay eggs with the same features you mentioned. I'm glad to hear it. Yes, her eggs have always been like this. I read somewhere that instead of trying to clean the egg I might try some very gentle sandpaper to get rid of the spots. It doesn't work. I guess this is her style. I also have two hens that lay very, very dark brown eggs and really shouldn't be and when I wipe them with a paper towel, some of the color comes off.

Thank you again.

Jen

Quote:

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ha! Just wait till you get one of the really freaky eggs that will pop out every so often. So far this year I've had one tiny egg (less than 1" long), one rubbery soft shelled egg with a long tail (looked just like a big tadpole!), a few huge eggs that wouldn't even fit in an eggbox, and one really scary looking hard shelled but wrinkly egg. You should have a look around the forum, loads of people post pictures of their weird eggs.

I really like all the different colours and sizes, so much more interesting than shop-bought eggs that all look the same [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by