'grit' - advice needed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by verity, Oct 7, 2008.

1. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    I am interested to know how you all feed 'grit.' In a mason-jar type feeder? Shallow bowl? Mixed in with the regular feed?

Thanks!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My girls are confined to a run during the work week. I just threw 2-3 handfuls of grit on the run ground and figured they'd scratch at it and get what they needed. They free-range in my yard on the weekend when I'm home.

When they were little I gave them grit in a bowl and you'd think it was chick chocolate, they loved it so much.

3. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Every couple of weeks I dump a couple cups in a pile in the run. They always scratch it all over the place and in a couple weeks it's gone. Like JennsPeeps, I figure if they need it they'll take it.

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I feed grit to my confined birds, but those in the run eat enough dirt covered treat to meet their requirements without my intervention.

5. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    I have sand in my cage, would I still need to offer grit?

[​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If they're bantams I say fine. If they're bigger chooks, I'd give them bigger grit.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

My layer feed contains both grit and oyster shell. Every now and then I give the girls some grit (for fun) in a wall-mount feeder. They *love* that. I know they don't need it but the instinct is so strong I prefer to let them play.[​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Isn't weird how excited chickens get for rocks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by