Grit and 6 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tororider, Mar 9, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I am feeding Dumour(TSC) starter grower and I can't see anywhere on the bag where it says if there is any grit in the feed. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is, and whether or not I should feed them some. I would like to get some crickets to feed them and maybe some other treats my 3.5 year old can give them and figure they will need grit for that. Any ideas for easy treats for a 3.5 year old to give chicks?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    All commercial starter feed has grit.

As for treats, try some cooked spaghetti or ramen noodles (without the flavoring). You'll get a kick out of watching them together. [​IMG]

3. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

meal worms, they LOVE them!! [​IMG]

4. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi tororider,

Just to clarify, there's no grit in commercial feed, whether it's starter or pellets. This is because the feeds are already finely ground and the chicks don't need grit to digest it.

Once you start adding different treats (e.g. whole grains or bugs) it's a good idea to provide a hopper of grit. Don't add it to the feed; leave it in the pen or in easy reach.

I'll also add, be careful not to confuse shell grit (for calcium) with hard grit (for digestion). The chicks need hard grit, not extra calcium.
    Hard grit is usually in the form of very small hard stones, typically chips of granite. [​IMG]

cheers
    Erica

5. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by