Grit and 6 week old chicks

tororider

Songster
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast MI
I am feeding Dumour(TSC) starter grower and I can't see anywhere on the bag where it says if there is any grit in the feed. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is, and whether or not I should feed them some. I would like to get some crickets to feed them and maybe some other treats my 3.5 year old can give them and figure they will need grit for that. Any ideas for easy treats for a 3.5 year old to give chicks?

All commercial starter feed has grit.

As for treats, try some cooked spaghetti or ramen noodles (without the flavoring). You'll get a kick out of watching them together.
big_smile.png

Hi tororider,

Just to clarify, there's no grit in commercial feed, whether it's starter or pellets. This is because the feeds are already finely ground and the chicks don't need grit to digest it.

Once you start adding different treats (e.g. whole grains or bugs) it's a good idea to provide a hopper of grit. Don't add it to the feed; leave it in the pen or in easy reach.

I'll also add, be careful not to confuse shell grit (for calcium) with hard grit (for digestion). The chicks need hard grit, not extra calcium.
Hard grit is usually in the form of very small hard stones, typically chips of granite.
smile.png

cheers
Erica

Back
Top Bottom