Grit and baby Pekin ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmkat55, May 1, 2016.

1. farmkat55

farmkat55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    I still need to do the intro as I just signed up on this site, but I have a question...we have two 3 wk old Pekin ducklings and I wonder if they need grit? We feed them a chick starter and occasional dried mealworms for a treat.

I know birds need grit normally and these guys won't need it when they are out foraging, but since they are indoors with a lamp in a 2x4 wooden and screen cage...I wonder if we need to give it to them at this age? They are thriving, eating, getting their feathers in and swimming in a 40 gal tank twice a day! Are we doing the right things?

Thanks, Kathy

2. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    Most chick starter has grit in it so them might already be getting it. They don't sound like their having any trouble but just to be safe I'd give them some when you give them mealworms, better safe than sorry. It seems like your doing fine. You can take them outside for about an hour at a time to play and run around. If your planning on having them live outside when their older then this will help the move not be so jarring.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by