Grit and chick feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AbisChicks16, Sep 18, 2016.

1. AbisChicks16

AbisChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    My chics will be a week old tomorrow. I've been feeding them the medicated food I bought from online. (The same site I bought my chicks from) The local feed store only sells non-meditated grow and start. Is it necessary to feed them medicated feed. Sorry I'm new to this.
    Also, the cashier suggested I buy grit. Do I mix this with their feed orfeed separately?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Some people swear by medicated feed, others avoid it. It is available to me so I use it for a couple months then put them on non-medicated. I think the medicated protects from coccidiosis primarily. If you haven't opened the grit yet, you can return it and get your money back. Grit is necessary for grinding up grain in the gizzard but for chicks it need only be sand. I hate spending money for a couple pounds of sand. Find a sandbox somewhere. Sprinkle it on their food in an amount that would be like you salting your food. You don't need to necessarily mix it. As they get older they eat larger grit, usually finding it on their own as they scratch and peck. Much luck to you! :)

3. AbisChicks16

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    Thank you! I still have 10 pounds of the medicated feed,so I'll continue with it. When I run out, I will give them the non medicated. [​IMG]

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry
    Good evening,
    I respectfully disagree about the need for grit in chicks. There is a definite science to feeding grit to poultry. Sand will not do. It has neither the size nor the sharp edges nor the insolubility to correctly grind feed for the chick. Many say chicks eating chick feed don't need grit. Perhaps they are right. However, the function of grit in chicks eating chick feed is not to grind the feed. It is to exercise the muscle called the gizzard. So the gizzard will grow strong and healthy and large. Poultry fed the proper kind and size of grit at the proper ages will develop larger and healthier gizzards. This can result in up to 20% more eggs per hen. Poultry producers have known that chickens do better when fed standard sizes of insoluble grit since the middle 1930's. We have decades of research and studies to back all this up.
    Here is a research paper I wrote on the subject. ( see URL at top of post)

You will find corroborating studies in the "Bibliography of Grit" listed in post 3. That treasure of book is an actually a bibliography, however it also contains an abstract of each cite. In post #4 of the thread, there is a URL for a brochure from Gran-I-Grit which has been making poultry grit from insoluable granite since 1935. On the second page is a feeding schedule for chicks thru adults and which size of grit to give them at which age. I buy my Gran-I-Grit from Agway. The chicks won't eat much so feel free buy a smaller bag anywhere you want.
    Best Regards,
    Karen in western PA, USA
    Keep the chicks on the medicated feed until they are at least 2 weeks old. The feed bag should have a age span on it for feeding that feed. Feed the grit in a separate cup. They will find it and eat what they need. No need to sprinkle the grit over their food at this older age.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. AbisChicks16

Sep 14, 2016
    South Florida
    I put the grit in a dish beside of their food. They make me laugh. You could tell they were unsure. They kept walking on it and scratching. I love these babies. I never thought chickens could bring me so much joy..

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Ha, ha, ha! They will figure it out, smile. Good for you!
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  7. junkman56

junkman56 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are 10 days old now, I bought (chick grit) from tractor supply, I put a small amount in the base of a chick feeder, the chicks go to it and just look at it, then they head for there feed. should I just leave the grit in in the brooder and give them time to eat it, or should I remove it. and wait until they get older. I want to give them a few mealworms for a treat, but I want to make sure they are getting enough Grit,

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You could sprinkle a bit on their feed. Or you could give them a plug of sod (only if not treated with insecticide/herbicides),and if your soil is void of any granules, you could sprinkle the grit on the sod clump. I just put it upside down on the floor of the brooder. At first, they will think it's an alien monster out to eat them, until one brave soul checks it out... then the party will begin.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  9. junkman56

junkman56 Chillin' With My Peeps

thank you for the info

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    YVW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by