Grit and oyster shell thread!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken farmer, Jan 19, 2014.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Post pictures of your grit and oyster shell feeders and your flock enjoying it and if you want tell about the importance of it for others that are still wandering about it[​IMG]

2. helorugger

helorugger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    I don't have a picture handy but this weekend my son and I installed a cat feeder in the coop that we filled with oyster shell. We mounted it on a shelf about 8" off the floor so that bedding doesn't get into it and we made the shelf small enough that I don't think they can get on it to make too much of a mess.

So far it is working out well. We also put a screw through the bowl and into the shelf so they can't knock it off...

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I just toss mine on the ground......

4. tankgirl88

tankgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    SLC, Utah
    I just hand mix mine in with their food :)

5. AlanW

AlanW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    I'll try to upload a pic. The far one is grit, near one is oyster shell.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. helorugger

helorugger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    Nice setup Alan. My feed store is telling me that the oyster shell will act as the grit as well since the shell they get is fairly rounded. It doesn't look like you subscribe to that train of thought...

7. AlanW

AlanW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    I'm led to believe that grit does a different function than oyster shell. That said, if your birds are getting some outdoor time, then they are probably getting all the grit that they need. Mine free range if the weather permits. They probably don't even need the grit, but it does no harm.

The dispensers are solid-bottom rabbit feeders. I think they were about $9-10 each thru amazon prime.

8. UrbanBYC

UrbanBYC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    About how large are the chunks of grit? My feed store has "Chicken Grit" but they were pretty large ices of this marble looking gravel and it looked WAAAAYYY too big. I free range mine when the weather is nice and have some time so it isn't very urgent, but I dont think it could hurt if it is ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by