Grit and Oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, Aug 1, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Howdy! My 2 babies are almost 19 weeks old and i was wondering some things:( i appreciate all questions being anwsered!thanx

1. when do I give them layering feed? the bag says 18 weeks but the start and grow says 20 weeks plus i have more start and grow and wanted to get rid of it...

2. Do I give the Grit AND oyster shells?

3. How much oyster shells do i give them?

4. I hear you can mix them, but I wasn't sure how much to mix.(should i get another feeder of oyster shells?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    At 19 weeks you can switch them anytime to layer. Some people wait until they actually get their first egg and then immediately switch, some people switch them at 20 weeks if they haven't started to lay yet.

If they are outside on the ground during the day (either in a run or free ranging) they don't need grit as they will get what they need from the dirt.

You should offer the oyster shell free choice 24/7 in a separate container. They will take what they need.

If you do offer grit I'd keep it in a separate container as well.

3. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    ok so i should probably get another feeder and put in oyster shells in? they are not free ranged excecpt for some exercise sometimes...so grit to?

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    You can mix the end of the start & grow with the layer feed. They are old enough for layer. I put the oyster shell and grit on top of upside down flower pots that I don't use.

Our flock forages our 2 acres, but I still provide grit. Because they don't use much of it, it lasts a long time. And it is there if they do need it - like in winter when there is 5 feet of snow on the ground. [​IMG]

5. coltsrox

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Quote:thank u so much! would it be easier to just get another feeder? they always knock over the offer make shift feeders.tommorrow i believe they turn 20 weeks so i will mix the food that also what i needed to know.

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I use a bunny rabbit feeder for my oyster shell. I attached it to the wall inside the coop and they get what they need. I like the bunny feeders as they have lids so it keeps the oyster shell cleaner.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    there is another thread on here about oyster shells and in the thread there was a gentleman who made a feeder for very little money i till try to find the thread and i will come back and edit my post but if you search oyster shells you may be able to find it...he even had pics...it was made of ABS pipe and i bought the stuff yesterday at home depot and it cost me less then $10 to make this feeder

as promised here it is...lol...it is post #6

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=76121

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by