Grit...can you make it from stuff outside?

Karen612

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
Golan Heights, Israel
My chicks aren’t ready for grit yet but been thinking about it. Can I just go outside and bring in bits of dirt/sand from the yard and gravel? We live in a rocky/mountainous area with natural porous volcanic stones everywhere. Could I just collect those from outside and bring them in? How small would they need to be?

Yes you can, but they do need a specific size. Sand is too small and will pass right thru them. Some is too big. Maybe if you offer a variety, they will choose what they need?
Take a look at this photo
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 1.52.37 PM.png

Sure can, and as long as you get a variety of stone sizes the birds will pick out what they need. Someone already mentioned granite and that is great just resist the idea of heading down to the local granite countertop fabrication shop. That can be some pretty exotic stone and all those pretty colors are usually some form of toxic heavy metal.

It is not unusual to find granite quarries competing for the same land or right next to a uranium mine. In the last few years here in Oklahoma the DEQ has forced the shops to landfill their sand and sludge instead of dumping it or letting it go into the drains.

Most of the granite found in the U.S., even in high radiation background areas like CO are going to be just fine for chickens. I wouldn't be breaking up rocks though, grab it from a stream so it has the jagged corners worked off. BTW, it makes an excellent soil amendment too.

Sure can, and as long as you get a variety of stone sizes the birds will pick out what they need. Someone already mentioned granite and that is great just resist the idea of heading down to the local granite countertop fabrication shop. That can be some pretty exotic stone and all those pretty colors are usually some form of toxic heavy metal.

It is not unusual to find granite quarries competing for the same land or right next to a uranium mine. In the last few years here in Oklahoma the DEQ has forced the shops to landfill their sand and sludge instead of dumping it or letting it go into the drains.

Most of the granite found in the U.S., even in high radiation background areas like CO are going to be just fine for chickens. I wouldn't be breaking up rocks though, grab it from a stream so it has the jagged corners worked off. BTW, it makes an excellent soil amendment too.
I don’t live in the US so yeah not even sure where I’d get non treated granite

Back
Top Bottom