GRIT?? do I need to give it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TNSMITH, Aug 8, 2013.

1. TNSMITH

TNSMITH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    So I have had my chickens for about 2 months now, I have 6 and so far we are enjoying it and actually getting 3 eggs a day. Some of the chickens haven't matured yet . Though it should be soon. It's kinda like watching water boil however.

Anyway, I know that birds need grit to digest their food. I have read that if you are feeding them a commerical layer feed that grit is not necessary, however, I am also feeding them scraps including veggies, fruit and I have just purchased some scratch.

I am sure that with the scratch I will need grit, the question I have is how often do I need to give them the grit?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Do your chickens have access to a run or chicken yard that has dirt and small rocks in it? If so, they likely are getting enough grit for themselves. However, if you keep them in an area that is mostly grass, or mostly dirt, they may not be getting enough grit. It would probably be a good idea to get grit, especially because you will be feeding them scratch.

3. TNSMITH

TNSMITH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    They are in a pen with grass, I use a "portable" coop. So is there a specific amount and a interval that I should be giving it to them?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    No interval. Grit can wear at different rates. I feel it is best that they can choose when to take it. Offer it in a dish off to the side maybe attach it to a leg of the pen so its always there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by