Grit - Eggshells the same thing???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by honeynajar, Apr 20, 2012.

1. honeynajar

honeynajar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Long before I got my babies I started saving egg shells. I wash them, dry them and then bake them. I ground them up and have a supply. I did this to provide my babies with GRIT. I've had a bowl of it available since they started eating various treats. Is this ground eggshells the same as GRIT? Just making sure because I read someplace else this am that you could give them egg shells - but they needed GRIT for digestion. Thanks for the clarification!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Grit is used for chewing in the gizzard... it is small rocks, granite works.

Egg shell is used for calcium, it is too soft for the gizzard, it's used for making strong bones, and strong eggshells when the females lay eggs.

3. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    CRAP! I guess I'll be picking up some Grit. Is Oyster shell the same thing? I noticed the feed store having both but I didn't think I needed either because of the egg shell.

4. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    But on the same line - they should have nice strong bones. LOL

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Oyster shell is also bone and egg building, it is still calcium but too soft for grit.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Also, young chicks do not need high calcium. Over a period of time, high calcium from whatever source, egg shells, oyster shell or layer feed inappropriately fed to chicks can cause kidney and renal system problems.

Sand, store bought grit, crushed granite, parakeet grit, are all fine. Of course, chicks eating Starter alone don't need grit, as the feed is quite soft and mushy.

7. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Ground eggshells are a source of calcium, like Oyster shell fed to pullets at point of lay (POL) and hens past age 16 weeks. The calcium helps to supply calcium for shell production. Too much added calcium can be harmful for baby chicks as they are still developing. If eggshells or oyster shell is offered to young chick most will try it and ignore it. They are pretty good at not eating what they don't need. But you can save your eggshells until they are needed by the pullets.

Grit is ground hard, sharp rock. Some use sand for baby chicks, then ground granite bagged as poultry grit. Grit comes in at least two sizes, Chick grit and Layer grit. Again, the change from chick to layer can be made at POL or around 16 weeks. All poultry that has free range access will seek small rocks, gravel, sand, etc. during their time outside. Chicks need some form of grit if anything is fed to them other than their chick feed.

Hope this helps.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a bag o' construction sand - NOT "play sand."

All purpose sand in a 40 or 50 lb bag will be useful for all sorts of projects, last for a very long tome, and has the requisite small bits of gravel and pebbles to work as grit.

I save a coffee can of it for grit and put the rest in a plastic kitty litter box in the coop so the chickens have someplace to take their dust baths when it's raining outside.

9. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Absolutely! I've been evidently doing it wrong! So I'll pick up some chick grit and take away the egg shell until 16 weeks! Thanks so much for the clarification! This forum is just outstanding! Everyone is so nice and helpful! It's just delightful![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by