Grit for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SilkiesRcool, Nov 29, 2016.

1. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Should I get grit for my silkies and if so what kind? I wasn't sure if because they're smaller they need a special type of grit or not. They go in the coop and run during the day the door to the coop from the run is left open during the day so they free feed. They have feed in the coop but not in the run. I wanted to start feeding them veggie scraps but wasn't sure if they needed grit for it and how often to give them that stuff. Thank you very much

2. newhenintown

newhenintown Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Yes they need grit. How old are they? Once they are introduced to treats or once they reach 8 weeks they need grit. And since they are outside they are getting all kinds of treats from nature. Bugs, etc. And also what does your run look like? If it has dirt with pebbly rocks in it then they will also eat it as grit but I still like to put grit out encase they aren't getting what they need from the ground. Just leave some always out there or mix some in with their feed that way its always their if they need it and its free choice if they do. Heres what I use and mine are 9-14 weeks old, its $6.49 for a 5lb bag which last a good while.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you very much and they are a little over two months now I'll attach a picture of the run. The picture is focused on the chicken but you can see the floor of the run. [​IMG]

4. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Your more then welcome. You may have some peoples in the run but I would still add a dish or bowl of grit for free choice. Even small chickens need it to grind up their food or your gonna end up with some crop issues and possibly lose a few birds to it.

5. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Beautiful silkie by the way! My mother has a lot of them. Theyre pretty but im more for the egg production chickens rather then ornamental ones.

6. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok and thank you I got them because I planned on showing and I planned on getting some EE's in the future for eggs because they're also colorful, I'm more for the oddballs like frizzles, silkies, EE's, maybe turkens even.

7. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al

I have 6 EEs and 6 cochins so I do have an eye for the pretties somewhat lol.

8. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Oh that's cool do you have any pictures of them that I can see?

9. newhenintown

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    Not sure if you wanted to see my EEs or cochins so Heres some of both lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    They're so pretty! I wanted some grays if I got them and some red like what you got basically. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by