Grit for chicks: How much is enough?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CollegiateChicken, Apr 20, 2011.

1. CollegiateChicken

CollegiateChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    I've been offering my month old chicks grit (sand and a bit of dirt)and they love the stuff. But how much is enough, and how much is too much? I don't know if they could get problems from eating too much, but I don't want to find out the hard way. [​IMG]

2. Edexter

Edexter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I would like to know as well!

"Subscribing" [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I was under the impression that they eat what they need.

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Sprinkle it on as if you were putting salt on your own food. Chick starter does contain grit already. [​IMG]

5. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    "Like"
    I want to know too!

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you're going to put it directly in their feed then just sprinkle it on like you were salting food as the previous poster said.

If you're going to serve it on the side then just put a small, easy to access, container in somewhere and let them have it free choice. In the beginning they'll eat a lot, but that will settle down and they'll just eat a little once in a while when they need it.

7. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    How old do they have to be to have grit?

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It's all a matter of what you feed them.

If you are using finely milled feed they don't ever need grit any more than a person who never eats anything but mush needs teeth.

Once you begin to give them feed that you yourself would need to use your teeth to eat they're going to need grit.

For new chicks they shouldn't be getting anything but chick starter for at least a week.

After that you can offer treats in limited amounts and you may want to offer grit then.

9. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    I put mine in one of those bunny feeders with a mesh bottom & hang it from the wire mesh of the run. The pullets come up and take what they instinctively need. If it rains, the water drains out through the mesh, as does the finer dust. As they grow, I move the grit feeder up. Works fine.

10. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I haven't ever given mine grit, but they are usually outside by 4 weeks old, so probably they find what they need in the dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by