Grit for chicks???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenfever, Aug 8, 2008.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    What kind of grit do I feed my chicks? They are 2 weeks old and I want to start to feed them some treats, but I can only find chicken grit which says not to give to them until 10 weeks old. Is there such a thing as chick grit?[​IMG]

2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Yes, you can get Chick Grit at Tractor Supply.

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I went to the pet store and got some grit that is sold for small birds. It seemed to work fine.

4. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I fed mine parakeet grit.

5. pkeeler

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I should have added to check the label and avoid any products with oyster shell.

6. chickenfever

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks, I had checked one pet store for grit and the woman had no idea what grit even was. I will check around to other pet stores.

7. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    At feed stores grit is sold in #1, #2 and #3 sizes.
    #1 is smallest and suitable for small chicks.

spot

8. chickenfever

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Our local feed store has limited stock, they only had one kind of chicken grit, for older chickens. The only parakeet grit I found has oyster shell in it. What is the reason they shouldn't have this?

9. pkeeler

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Too much calcium makes them have growing problems. This is why people avoid feeding layer pellets to chicks. The grit I got was basically coarse sand. Some people just find a clean source and take their bucket. Good luck, I found mine in a store where they said they didn't have it. [​IMG]

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine never got grit.

At the time I started feeding treats, I gave them the treats in their outside run/tractor and they were fine.

I took them out in the morning once it warmed up - the scratched and did their thing, they got a couple of treats.... then came in at around 5-6pm to spend the night inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by