Grit for day old chicks?

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
I have been reading and somethings say put grit for the chicks to eat right when you get them (about 1-3 days old) and others say give them the grit once they are old enough to start eating treats (about 2 weeks old). Others say to put grit in if you have them in pine bedding.

I was wondering what age you give your baby chicks grit or if you don't and why? If you do give them grit is it just the regular grit that you can buy from Walmart or Petsmart that is for parakeets or birds alike?

I give my chicks bird grit a few days after they come out of the hut or when they are about 5-7 days old. I mix it with chick crumbs at a ratio of 3:1 handfuls, 3 being of chick crumbs. It works well and it is important especially if the chicks are being raised by an adult hen. Grit is very important, but my hens go foraging around so they get grit from the ground, chicks may also follow their mum in doing this, as mine do.

This was my first time hatching and I didn't give them grit until they were about a week old. Next time, since they will be on pine bedding, I will give it to them from day one. I just put it in a flat tupperware dish (like ones for sandwiches). They take it when they need it and also like to use it for dust bathing. I use the grit you would give parakeets. You can get it from Walmart for $2.

I have never added purchased grit to my chicks' diet.

I was told by Purina that their Start & Grow had all the necessary grit already added. My chicks also get out into the grass & dirt at an early age, especially if they're being raised by the hen who hatched them. Even if I'm keeping them brooder-bound I'll give them a dish of dry dirt for dustbaths, and/or a clump of grass with the roots & dirtball attatched. I figure between their feed & the dirt they encounter they're picking up all the grit they need.

I don't think it would hurt to offer them grit if you want. Especially if you think they're having some digestive difficulties. Otherwise, you could save your money for something else (more chicks?)

There is no need for grit when they are eating only chick feed. They make a chick grit for young birds but the size is bigger than I would offer chicks until they are up several weeks. And I would not mix it with feed; I feel they need to be able to take it if and when they feel the need. And I don't want them filling up on grit when what they need is food.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I was also wondering this. I have three very hungry and thirsty chicks . They seem to always be eating and drinking There crops are full. How long does it take for them to break this down and should I add grit at this young age??

I got mine roaming round in the yard all day, they love eating grass and insects. I haven't given them grit, but they have sand available compost, and big rock beds. I hope they are getting enough grit.

They seem to be thriving at 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom