Grit for ducks. Can any sea shell do?

Oct 21, 2020
Hi guys I have a question. Recently I've searched for calcium sources. I've been using egg shells, clam shells, oyster shells. But I still think I don't have a reliable source. I when to the beach today and found a ton of sea snail shells. Ive brought them home and am wondering if I can crush them and feed it as grit to the ducks. Any suggestions are appreciated.🐚

"Grit is insoluble. It stays in the gizzard and it's used to grind food. Oyster shell dissolves in the gut. Its job is not to do with digestion - it's to add calcium to the diet of laying hens."

Why do you feel that you do not have a reliable source of calcium?

I am unaware if you can use sea snail shells particularly, but I would not even if they were an appropriate source of calcium. My fear would be contamination. Unless you were able to autoclave these shells. My ducks got sick from playing in water wild ducks were in. So I'm very careful.

That could be possible - but It wouldn't be by design. Wild birds pick up whatever they can get a hold of and that would include road gravel. No one would want to poison them. Also, I'm not talking about a package you get out of your local home improvement store - I'm talking about going to a gravel yard or landscaping wholesaler and having them fill a 5 gallon bucket. I don't think you would find any additives in that material.

Oysters come from the sea. To my knowledge snail shells are also calcium carbonate. If you can't get calcium your idea is good. I would crush them to the size if a pea and boil for 10 minuets. I don't think there is high risk of disease transfer but you never know, plus a short bath in hot water will help remove any contaminates. (Some places are very polouted)

P.s. dead coral skeletons also work, so does crushed limestone.

The composition of a snail shell is actually 95-99% calcium carbonate. My normal carrier for oyster shells has been out of stock forever so I bought a bag of oyster shells from TSC and it was riddled with small pieces of metal...so I would gladly take my chances with the boiled snail shells if I had that option right now.

The composition of a snail shell is actually 95-99% calcium carbonate. My normal carrier for oyster shells has been out of stock forever so I bought a bag of oyster shells from TSC and it was riddled with small pieces of metal...so I would gladly take my chances with the boiled snail shells if I had that option right now.
That's really scary if you found metal in there.

The sad part is there wasn't just a small piece or two, but it was completely filled with small metal pieces like bits of what looked like steel wool. I threw the whole thing away and didn't let my ducks anywhere near it. I even had my husband look at it because I thought I was seeing things and there was no way someone could manufacturer something filled with metal shards like that.
I've heard of this before, on other threads. :(

Here where I live ground-up oyster shells are hard to come by. And 5 times the average price in the states. I have been hand grinding clamshells for the ducks, although the clamshells have been baking in the sun for a few months so I guess they're sterilized. Could I boil the sea snail shells?. Their huge, the size of large clams. I'll get some extra grit for the ducks now. They free range so they probably have some grit. I´ll put a photo of the sea-snail-shell later so you guys can see if it's worthy of duck consumption.
Also, I say I don't have enough calcium is because every time I put the ground clamshells or any other source of calcium the ducks gobble it up so quickly that nothing is left after a few seconds. Also, some ducks eat soo much that others don't get any. I have been having some softshells so I don't prevent the ducks from eating it. So I guess I need more calcium.

Here where I live ground-up oyster shells are hard to come by. And 5 times the average price in the states. I have been hand grinding clamshells for the ducks, although the clamshells have been baking in the sun for a few months so I guess they're sterilized. Could I boil the sea snail shells?. Their huge, the size of large clams. I'll get some extra grit for the ducks now. They free range so they probably have some grit. I´ll put a photo of the sea-snail-shell later so you guys can see if it's worthy of duck consumption.
Also, I say I don't have enough calcium is because every time I put the ground clamshells or any other source of calcium the ducks gobble it up so quickly that nothing is left after a few seconds. Also, some ducks eat soo much that others don't get any. I have been having some softshells so I don't prevent the ducks from eating it. So I guess I need more calcium.
Thanks for the clarification, not living in the States and oyster shells being harder to come by. Your ducks behavior, and soft shells, seem to indicate that they need the calcium as well. Are they on a layer diet?

I'm unaware if boiling is enough to kill all dangerous pathogens on sea shells. It wouldn't surprise me if some could survive. Now I'm curious what sterilization procedure the oyster shell companies uses before selling it to us, and if it is to the standard I would expect it to be! Eek!

Back
Top Bottom