Grit for week old bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityChikn, Mar 12, 2012.

1. CityChikn

CityChikn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Lees Summit, MO
    I'm officially a chicken mama! [​IMG]My daughter and I brought home 3 mystery bantams (either buff cochins or millie fleurs - and hopefully pullets [​IMG]) this afternoon. We have them in the brooder with clean water and chick scratch (Manna Pro non-medicated started - which I hope is good). But I've not gotten them any grit yet. (They're a week old & not old enough to go outside yet so they won't pick up pebbles, etc on their own yet.) Should I go get them some or is there some alternative (such as sand) that is recommended?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

If they are just eating their chick starter, then they do not need chick grit. However, if at some point you give them veggies or other things for which they might need "teeth", at that time you could give them chick grit.

3. CityChikn

CityChikn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Lees Summit, MO
    That is good to know. As for when they are older, I read somewhere on this site that contractor grade sand (not playground sand) could be used for grit. Is that true? (Because we already have some.) Or should I buy the poultry grit at TSC or Orschlens to be safe? thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by