Grit for week old chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Splinty, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Splinty

Splinty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Hi! Can I use Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Hi-Cal Grit Supplement for Small Birds for 1 week old chicks? I wanted to try feeding them snacks (eggs, yogurt, fruit, veggies, grass, bugs etc.). I keep finding mixed coments on if it's to early or if it's ok to start it. When they are about 4-5 weeks old I want to put them in their tractor full time and wasn't sure if I should just wait till they scratch the grass and get there own grit before giving them snacks. Once they are in the tractor will I need to always give them grit? They are eating started crumbles now then I was going to go to grower feed at 5 weeks then layer food after that. Any help is appreciated. Also I just bought apple cider vinegar (Braggs) and I was wondering when Can I start giving it to them. They a 1 week old.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I don't think you want to give them "Hi-Cal" (calcium?) anything till they start laying. I did give my very young chicks parakeet grit, tho. It didn't have calcium in it, just grit like coarse sand, kind of.

3. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Ok. What about this Brown's Poultry Grit Plus Chicken Feed? I found it on pet os website.

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My week-olds were in a brooder with washed play sand as litter. They ate it copiously and are now huge, raucous 10-week olds. If it were me, I'd give them a small bowl of washed play sand, available at Home Depot or Lowe's for $3.75ish a 50-pound bag.

Definitely don't give hi-calcium grit. Bad for chicks, I keep hearing.

5. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I started giving my chicks treats at about a week, although most of the experts say not to. I have read you can give them yogurt or scrambled eggs without giving them grit. If you try anything that would need to be chewed if you were eating it, then they definitely need grit. A little Bragg's vinegar in the water--say a half teaspoon in a pint of water, now, is good. Daily or every other day. I don't think there are specific directions for that.

6. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Thank You very much. I'm very new to chickens and I want to make sure I don't do anything to harm them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by