1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit in food / run etc..

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Matt66, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Matt66

Matt66 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2016
    Hello , I am a very new chicken farmer and trying to learn as much as possible as fast as possible to keep my 9 layers happy and catent . I am wondering how much grit is needed and how often ?? Is there such a thing as to much grit as well ?? Thank you in advance for your knowledge and support and as always have a great egg day [​IMG][​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

Leave the grit out as free choice. They know how much they need and will pick through it as needed. Same with oyster shell for calcium. Some birds need extra calcium, some don't.

As for too much grit, as long as it is not sand, which if over eaten will cause trouble, tiny stones will pass right through them quick enough if they over eat them. If you have the nerve to look at their poop, LOL, sometimes you can see tiny stones that they have used or discarded through their system. Sand works as grit for younger birds not yet laying. Never offer sand to tiny chicks as they can over eat it thinking it is food. The bigger the bird, the bigger the tiny stones need to be for grinding food in the gizzard.

Enjoy your birds! :)

3. Matt66

Feb 5, 2016
    Ok , got it . Thank you for the quick reply , I will just leave a container of grit out with the food & water feeders for them to grab as they want it . I'm slowly learning but doing pretty well with my flock thus far hope it keeps going good for us and the flock. Have a great day !!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

5. Matt66

Feb 5, 2016
    Thank you so much , we really love our flock and want nothing but the best for them , however we do have another problem on our hands now , one of our girls has hurt her foot somehow and is hoping on just one foot she seems happy and fine health wise and was ok until yesterday we noticed her hoping along and holding the bad foot up . Just wondering if you may have any advice that we can do to help her through until her foot gets better . Thank you !!! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

7. Matt66

Feb 5, 2016
    Thank you for the quick feed back , no from her hip to her foot is fine the problem is her foot and ankle area only , as you say it seems as if it's a sprain as to what it appears to be . She is doing better on it today so think it might be a slight sprain . Thank you so much for all your help , I may be over reacting as a new chicken farmer but I am trying my best to learn as much as possible as fast as I can as our birds our part of our family now. We got 4 eggs today from our 9 hens , I realize that's not a great amount but being they have just been through a lot of stress from moving to a new coop & run we are very grateful they are laying any eggs . You have been a tremendous help and we love this site , everybody is so very helpful and caring of one another . You are a god send for your information and thank you dearly . [​IMG][​IMG]

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

9. Matt66

Feb 5, 2016

10. Matt66

Feb 5, 2016
    [/quote. Hello , her foot has no puncture wounds on her foot , it is not swelled at all , no redness , etc . She is eating very well and looks very healthy . She is putting very little pressure on it only when she has to and she's been laying in the coop quite a bit except to come out to eat or treats and goes back in to rest which I think is a good thing at this point . I can only assume at this point that it is a sprain it's not dangling or anything like that . My perches are only about 12 inches from the ground. It does appear that it may be getting a bit better as I see her using it a bit more each day . Thank you again for your advice and have a great day. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by