1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit in winter months

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JustOneMore, Dec 22, 2010.

1. JustOneMore

JustOneMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Our girls are outside during daylight hours. Once they started their turnout regimin I haven't given a thought to grit ... they have full access to gravel/sand outside. However, now the ground is frozen and there's a thin layer of snow. Do I need to start giving them access to grit? If so, what do you recommend for adult hens?

Thanks in advance.

2. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

I leave grit in the coup year round and buy it by the 50 lb bag. I think it cost me about 6 dollars for a 50 and I just put a cup or so in the dish as I see it getting low that way I don't have to worry about availability. Probabely not necessary but I don't like them going to the driveway and picking gravel out there that is subjected to auto exaust and the like! The 50 lbs will likely last me for a couple of years no more than they eat of it

Ernie

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We keep grit out year 'round. I built a feeder out of scrap lumber for both grit and oyster shell and I only have to fill it up maybe once or twice a year. I figure it's there if they need it and like emarble stated.. it's cheap.
    [​IMG]

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I mix the grit with the food year round. I've read that you don't have to feed it if you free range, but I do it to be safe. You won't have to supplement it, but I do it for safety. If your snow only lasts a few days they'll do fine.

5. JustOneMore

JustOneMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for the fantastic replies!

mississippifarmboy, your "supplemental" feeder is gorgeous!

I am heading out to find grit now.

Thanks again to each of you that added input. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by