Grit....is sand ok

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by momoftwinsinwi, Aug 23, 2007.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Or should I give them something a little courser???

2. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    play sand is fine mate...i just put a handful or so into each bowl of feed that the birds get. I just started to do it for the babies also, they are 4 weeks old now. The sand costs <$4 for a 50lb bag.

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Sand is fine...also you can find grit in the pet section at Walmart as well as your feed stores. If you let your chicks outside at all even in an enclosed run they are going to find small pebbles and stuff to swallow as well.

4. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Can I mix ground oyster shell and grit in the same feeder?

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I don't see a problem with that. I have two feeders for my big girls and boy (one round and the other long) as well as two red bowls which hold the oyster shell in one and the grit in the other. When I give them scratch I will sometimes put it in the grit bowl as well.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    overgorging on sand is often the cause of an impacted gizzard... I would only use course sand...I was reading the other day that the birds will choose round grit that is not likely to splinter (again a risk for impacted gizzard)

7. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Since oyster shell and grit serve two different functions I am not sure how combining them benefits the chickens. Aren’t they offered free choice separately for that reason?

I leave sand out for mine but they really get their grit themselves free ranging. Never had a problem w/ them gorging, but they were about 12 weeks before we put it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by