Grit or no grit?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JP84, Apr 22, 2016.

1. JP84

JP84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Utah
    Hi. I have 2 ducklings that are just over a week old. I am getting conflicting answers from feed stores around here about when to give them grit. I've been told at 2 weeks old, 4 weeks and 6. I would like to start giving them treats (greens and such) but don't want to do this too soon if they are not ready. So what age is appropriate to give grit and treats? I have one Peking and one rouen if it makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

2. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Following this because I have the same question.

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Some treats can be started as early as 1wk. Any time you stray from starter, you will need to provide grit.

4. old mcdanold

old mcdanold Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    from what I understand the fine nondigestable grit is ok at any age but im no expert. but my pekin has had grit since a round two weeks and has grown emensily in 4 weeks

5. TiffaStar

TiffaStar Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dotknott [​IMG]

Some treats can be started as early as 1wk. Any time you stray from starter, you will need to provide grit.

Which kind of treats? Like clover, for example? Do they need grit for leaves/clover type treats?

6. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
  7. JP84

JP84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Utah
    Thank you for your answers everyone... and thanks for the link. Just what I needed

8. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Great!

Keep us updated on the ducks! I'd love to know if they turn their bills up at anything.

9. JP84

JP84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Utah

So here is an update. I tried cherry tomatoes and they just turned to juice, so I put that in a bowl with some crushed watermelon floating in it...and you would think they hadn't eaten in days! It was a huge hit! I also gave them banana. They are not the most social, but if they see that banana they come running to get a piece. Will work in some more treats later and let you know :)

10. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I offer greens as soon as I notice the ducklings are actively consuming grit. This years batch started actively consuming within the first few hours of being unboxed.

I give my ducklings exposure to as many things as possible.... chopped grass, chopped dandelion, chopped clover, lettuce, kale, etc.w

I love to give my adult ducks cherry tomatoes in their dabbling pan. Bobbing for whole tomatoes is hilarious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by