Grit or no grit?

JP84

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2016
Utah
Hi. I have 2 ducklings that are just over a week old. I am getting conflicting answers from feed stores around here about when to give them grit. I've been told at 2 weeks old, 4 weeks and 6. I would like to start giving them treats (greens and such) but don't want to do this too soon if they are not ready. So what age is appropriate to give grit and treats? I have one Peking and one rouen if it makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

from what I understand the fine nondigestable grit is ok at any age but im no expert. but my pekin has had grit since a round two weeks and has grown emensily in 4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotknott

Some treats can be started as early as 1wk. Any time you stray from starter, you will need to provide grit.

Which kind of treats? Like clover, for example? Do they need grit for leaves/clover type treats?

Thank you for your answers everyone... and thanks for the link. Just what I needed

Great!

Keep us updated on the ducks! I'd love to know if they turn their bills up at anything.

So here is an update. I tried cherry tomatoes and they just turned to juice, so I put that in a bowl with some crushed watermelon floating in it...and you would think they hadn't eaten in days! It was a huge hit! I also gave them banana. They are not the most social, but if they see that banana they come running to get a piece. Will work in some more treats later and let you know :)

I offer greens as soon as I notice the ducklings are actively consuming grit. This years batch started actively consuming within the first few hours of being unboxed.

I give my ducklings exposure to as many things as possible.... chopped grass, chopped dandelion, chopped clover, lettuce, kale, etc.w

I love to give my adult ducks cherry tomatoes in their dabbling pan. Bobbing for whole tomatoes is hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom