Grit or No grit...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Skipcurt, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Skipcurt

Skipcurt Chirping

Jan 10, 2018
    Woodstock, GA
    So I've got 5 day old chicks and they're in the brooder eating chick starter. It was so nice out today with temps around 75 so I thought I'd treat the ladies to some yard time. Sat out there with them for about 15 minutes and started thinking about whether or not they would be able to handle whatever it is that they're eating. I have not offered them grit yet but if they are going outside like that should I start offering it or are they getting grit out there?

Skip

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I would offer them grit, it's very inexpensive and I'd rather know that they have access to some than hope that they can find some while they're outside.

Folly's place and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. carlsonbwin

carlsonbwin In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2018
    Still having problems with our RIR hen laying eggs that are soft on one end. She was our best layer and don't know what the problem is. She is fed Purina laying mash that has oyster shells in it and also has free choice shells. Anyone ever had this problem?

4. gator75

gator75 Songster

Aug 25, 2012
    I hate that they sell chick grit in a 10 lb bag when my 3 chicks will only need a half cup max.

5. R3bauer

R3bauer Songster

Nov 9, 2013
    Dubuque, Iowa
    I just picked up a small bag for 2.5 week old chicks rather they be ready than not

6. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    Do you have any other chickens? They do eventually pass the grit and will need more. I just stick mine in one of the plastic chick feeders and set it out in the feeding area.

7. Sunny-Side Up

Sunny-Side Up Turn towards the sun & the shadows fall behind you

May 1, 2017
    Hi, @carlsonbwin !
    Do you know how to post your own thread? If you don't, go to Forums, select the forum that matches your topic, and click Post New Thread.
    This way, more people will be able to see and answer your question, and it will provide more opportunities for other people to get posts on their own threads that will help them.
    ;)

8. Skipcurt

Skipcurt Chirping

Jan 10, 2018
    Woodstock, GA
    I was thinking the same thing when I bought mine. I got 5 lb bag from TSC. I just figured I'd throw it around the run when they get outside.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I prefer to make grit available to chicks the first week regardless of what I give them to eat. I feel that it helps stimulate gizzard growth and health.

I do have a small bag of chick sized grit along with "regular" sized grit - I keep both in a bucket with a gamma seal lid. No need to get rid of all of it - just place a little in a small cup that is attached to a post in your run.

You will have more chicks/chickens eventually - Yes?:)

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If you have feed store options other than TSC you can also check those to see if they have a bulk bin section. The one I frequent has bulk bins for everything from grit to scratch to feed, so you can just buy the amount you need.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: