Grit, or no Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fluffy-Butt-Farms, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    ok, depending on who I've asked, it's either, yes give them grit it helps their guts, or "I've raised hundreds of chickens and they dont need no grit (feed store owner who refuses to carry it).

To clear my consious(Sp?), I went to tractor supply and got chick grit to sprinkle on their medicated food.

any thoughts?

2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    As long as the only thing you're feeding is chick starter, then you do not need any grit.

Anything else, give them some grit! [​IMG]

3. danab

danab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    Do you still need to feed grit if they have free range in a big backyard, all day long?

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Depending on your backyard and landscaping, they should be able to find their own grit. We have a crushed granite driveway so I'll never have to worry about grit [​IMG]

5. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I've always gone with grit, even though mine have access to plenty of dirt. I figure why not have it available just in case they want it. I buy a little bag at TSC and it will last 4-5 months or longer. With as little as it costs to provide, I figure why not.

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I always give my chicks chick grit and when they get older they have access to chicken grit and crushed oyster shell. Yes they do need it. If they eat anything fiberous (grass,pumpkin flesh, spinach,scratch, oats, sunflower seeds etc) they will need the grit to digest the food.

I would also find another feed store.

7. pseudoyams

pseudoyams Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    I dont mean to highjack, but on the same note: I bought my chix some meal and wax worms. Should I get some grit before I feed these to them?

-Rob

8. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:yes, the grit helps them grind this type of food so they can properly digest it

9. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I throw my chicks scratch out in their run in the mornings and once a week or so I'll toss some grit out with it. I figure if they need it they'll eat it.

10. microbiomom

microbiomom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    I put parakeet grit out for them to eat. Does it have too much calcium or are they not likely to consume a detrimental quantity?
    thanks
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by