Grit/outside

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hi,

I have 2 week and 3 week chicks and on warmer days I take them on little "filed trips" outside for a couple hours outside for fun and exercise. They have chick starter and every day I have introduced a snack that I bought at the store...I cannot remember the name but its a roll on a stand and it's for chicks I limit it to like 3 minutes because they tear that thing up like nobody's business! Now when they go outside, I cannot tell, except one time when one of them got a worm, if they are just pecking, or actually eating things. If they are, do they still need grit?

None of the chicks will go near the grit, but they do like sand. One chick won't even eat the sand and I noticed some runny poops yesterday and today, and wasn't sure if that is what is going on. So, if they are eating outside, from the ground, do they need sand/grit?

Yep, if they’re eating anything other than Starter, they need grit. But make it easy on yourself and fun and natural for them, since they like to peck on the ground. Just scatter a little grit where you’re going to set them outside. They get to find it, and it won’t hurt your yard one bit if they leave any behind.

Welcome to BYC...So glad to have you!

You "take them out on warmer days"?? it's June! At 2 and 3 weeks of age they should be outside in a brooder or a run all the time! Are you in Alaska or somewhere cold? It's 95 degrees here! At that age I just sprinkle the chick grit where they are, which at this age was in the run. They will get what they need just pecking around looking for other stuff to eat! Just like Blooie said! :D

I was going to mention that they could most likely be out all the time by now, but then I remembered that my first year with chicks we didn’t get our last snowfall here until June 6th. :he So I figured discretion was the better part of valor, since I didn’t know if she has their setup built yet or what her climate is.

Hi, thank you very much for your replies. They still won't eat the grit. Regarding the temperature we have only had like 3 days of warm weather. Today it is 62. I read not to take them outside at that age until it is 75 degrees? and we have only had a few days of that so far. I also don't have the barn ready for them. We don't have a run either. They will be only in the barn and backyard once the barn is finished.

They don't need to eat a ton of the digestive granite grit in the appropriate size, throw it out on the ground with the scratch...they'll get a few pieces.

http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

I admit when it comes to chicks, I just sprinkle a little bit of grit on their food every few days, rather than figure out how to make them eat some (or to keep them from flinging it everywhere!) Figure if a few pieces make it into their system it'll be good enough.

Back
Top Bottom