Grit question / food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kizanne, Dec 8, 2011.

1. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have some days olds coming tomorrow. I only have poultry grit it seems bigger than chick grit but at about the size of 1/2 or 1/3 of an m&m.

Is the grit oK?

Do you think I can feed them mealworms without grit?

2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    put a small amount in a hand towel and bang with a hammer. TADA Chick grit! [​IMG]

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

No but I would feed them only chick starter and water for several weeks anyway. Have fun with the chickies!

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Day olds won't need grit till they start getting bugs or treats.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  5. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yep I have some bugs that I intend to give them. Just like momma would for day olds. It is mealworms they are a soft bodied bug.

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh, Sorry. I didn't read the part about the mealworms. In that case, if you can't find some really fine chick grit, you could get some parakeet grit from the grocery store. Works for mine!

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:To be honest most good hens don't take there chicks out of the nest till 3 to 4 day old even then most chicks wont eat bugs and such till about the 7th or 8th day.
    The day out of the egg the chick is drying up and getting its energy back from hatching.

Chris

8. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Quote:X2

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I agree...if only giving chick starter...you don't need grit, its to aid in digestion...they don't need it till you start giving treats....then even sand is ok

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Oh, Sorry. I didn't read the part about the mealworms. In that case, if you can't find some really fine chick grit, you could get some parakeet grit from the grocery store. Works for mine!

Careful to read the label, though. Often what is sold as "parakeet grit" will have calcium in there that the chicks don't need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by