Grit question

sdaikus

Chirping
Mar 20, 2016
My little ones are 5 weeks now. I think I'm actually a little late on giving them treats it seems
1f615.png
I bought them dried mealworms that I'm going to just scatter lightly in their bedding. I've researched about grit and I can't seem to find a clear answer.. It seems like more of a prefrence, but I'd love everyone opinion.

1. Do I need to give them grit if all they are getting is dried meal worms?

2. How do I give them the grit? Mix in food.. Scatter it with the bedding.. Ect?

3. What kind/size do I use for 5 week olds? Can I use sand or should I buy a size at this age?

THANKS
1f423.png

Treats are not necessary, but if you do wish to give them treats then grit is a good idea. A sod of turf with soil will be fine. I free range my flock and chicks are outside with mum from day 2-3 - the soil they peck etc ensures that they have grit in their crops ( as well as exposing them to what's outside already).

Ct

I just want to make I understand.. Sorry for my stupidity. By "sod of turf" basically I can just dig up a small little thing of grass.. Throw it in the brooder and that's perfect for them? @CTKen

No stupidity at all! And yep, you got it right - throw it in and they will enjoy it! I am at fault for not being clear.

Best wishes

Ct

It's not appeared yet, but I will respond :)

Chris

Sorry, should have had my glasses on ! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom