Grit Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BarredBuff, Dec 22, 2009.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Is oyster shell and grit the same thing?

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    No. Grit is actually small stones that the bird will usually pick up naturally if they are free-ranging, but needs to be supplied for them if they are in a coop/run situation. The swallowed stones sit in their crop and grind up the food they eat (since chickens don't have teeth). Oyster shell is a good source of calcium. Important for laying hens.

Christina

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    No. Oyster shell is a calcium supplement for laying hens, to help create healthy shells. Grit is to aid digestion for all birds.
    Mine live on dirt floor pens and freerange a bit, so grit lasts a long time around here. The laying hens get oyster shell free choice, I refill the holder once a week.

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I didnt think it was but suprisingly you cannot find grit here even TSC doesnt have it or the Feed Store

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    you can get grit from any petstore; they sell it for parrots, parakeets etc.
    Or you can go to almost any hardware store to get a bag of course sand or pea gravel.

6. sjh

sjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Dora'smom :

No. Grit is actually small stones that the bird will usually pick up naturally if they are free-ranging, but needs to be supplied for them if they are in a coop/run situation. The swallowed stones sit in their crop and grind up the food they eat (since chickens don't have teeth). Oyster shell is a good source of calcium. Important for laying hens.

Christina

Once agian grit is used in the gizzard not the crop. The crop only holds food.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by