grit question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pepperbasket, Jun 30, 2010.

1. pepperbasket

pepperbasket Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    Hi - our chicks are 7 days old, incubator hatched. They faired very well today on their field trip to VBS - the kids loved them, no touching. I built a wooden crate for them yesterday and they looked awesome in there - much more authentic than the Rubbermaid [​IMG]

We gave them a couple of crickets today - what a hoot. I'm hesitant to give more til I know - do they need "grit" for crickets? We will probably keep them another week -should I just go get some to put in with them? What kind of sand is "untreated" - is playsand okay?

One has just started trying out the branch I put in for them to roost. They're so fun to watch and grow SO fast. Thanks.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Play sand is okay but construction or "all purpose" sand is better. It has more little bits of granite and pebbles in it. And it's cheaper! Less than six bucks for a 50# sack!

Because the exoskeleton of crickets is crunchy, they need a bit of grit to digest it.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Don't use play sand it is to fine (in texture) and way over priced.
    What I use is All Purpose Sand. It runs around $ 3.00 a 50 lb bag..

Chris

4. mama n her peeps

mama n her peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    im also wondering about grit so you say all purpose sand ,ok i will pick sum up what do you do with it do you put it in a pan or spead it in their coop new to this new mama of 8 little ladies they are 5 weeks now only on medicated chick starter

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I "bed" there house/pen with it..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by