Grit question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stargazingmommy, May 13, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Because I'm new at all this and don't want to hurt my little chicks I did pick up some grit, but I'm wondering how necessary is it if they are outside most of the day scratching around in rocky dirt eating it?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You are right, if they're outside and they have access to rocky dirt as you described, they will get their grit naturally.

Even inside, in a brooder, if you're just feeding chick crumbles, you won't need grit. It's when they begin eating other things that they will need some form of grit.

3. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    What sorts of things would require them to have grit? Another newbie here with 5 day old chicks - thanks

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Just about anything except the crumble. veggies, scraps -- as I understand it, egg yolk and yogurt is ok without grit, but I smashed some pullet grit with a sledge hammer for mine last year (to get it smaller for them) and put it in the brooder when they were a week old. I wanted to bring in some grass for them, and I didn't want to take any chances. This year, I'm using sand in a dust bath for them so they will have some grit access. Tomorrow (2 weeks old) they will get a chunk of sod with grass.

Quote:

5. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I just have 600lbs of sand down in my 'teen' coop. It's great grit.

For my older girls, they are on a much larger run with dirt, rocks,etc. so I rarely give them any.

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I just went and got a bag of playground sand for like 5 dollars from our hardware store. It's nice and fine. My chicks are 2 and a half weeks old and I wanted to start giving them grass clippings from when I mow my lawn. They really like to chase each other for them. I also want to start catching them bugs now that they have grit to keep them healthy. It's fun to entertain them and it's very entertaining for the family to watch them having fun.

7. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Chick olypmics!! [​IMG] Mine love crickets! [​IMG]

8. WhisperingJessi

WhisperingJessi Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Mine got an ant today.Hardly had time to hit the ground and it was gone.

9. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:[​IMG] I try to take mine outside on nice days...not done the coop & run yet...so I just take 1 or 2 at a time and put them in the grass...my Barred Rocks immediatley start hunting for ants!! [​IMG] They love them!! [​IMG]

10. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Can I give my 10 day olds some Hartz gravel and grit from the bird aisle at the store. I think it is marketed for house birds but it looks fine enough to give my chicks - any thoughts on this???? I am new to chicks and not sure - don't want to kill them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by