Grit question?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Jun 20, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    My run has a mix of sand and dirt in it in some spots, grass the rest. The girls use it as a dust bath area. My questions is do I need to give them another type of grit, like oyster shell or crushed granite? Will the sand and dirt be enough for them? If I need other grit how do I got about adding it in?

Thanks

2. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    the oyster shell is not the same as the granite grit. they oyster shell is to provide additional calcium for strong shells, the granite for grit.

Since both are fairly inexpensive, I'd provide both free choice.

3. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks. I'll give the oyster shell when they start laying, do you offer it on the ground or in feeders/ dishes?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Some people offer oyster shell in a dish or a tuna can nailed onto the wood. I have a cement block on the ground that I put a little pile of oyster shell on every few days.

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My chickens are free range most days and when not are on a sandy run. I still offer grit to them 24/7. I put my grit (and oyster shell) in dog bowls in the covered area of their run.

6. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Some people will use egg shells instead of buying oyster shell. If you choose to do that you should probably 1) rinse the shells well to remove the egg scent, and 2) crush them well so they no longer resemble eggs. Some people bake them some, too, also to remove the egg scent. I nuke 'em. [​IMG] It's dries them fast and "bakes" them at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by