Grit question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawsplus, Jun 27, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    So I just completed a reno of my pen, including the addition of leveling sand on top of gravel on top of landscaping fabric. More on the project here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19926-mud-eradication-project .

I'm wondering 2 things:

(1) Does leveling sand, unlike play sand, work for grit? I've got some stone dust in a container in there just in case it does not, but wanted to check.

(2) If it does or does not, is there any danger either way if the hens ingest some of it? B/c they will, esp. when I put out things like corn on the cob, etc. Do I need to worry about this, esp. if leveling sand does NOT work as grit? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I think I would still offer grit. Full sized chickens need grit bigger than you will normally get in any type of sand. It's cheap too. No need to worry about them ingesting any of the sand, it's normal and would happen to any free range chicken.

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    OK -- thanks. So is it the size of the sand that matters? I somehow thought that the problem w/ play sand was the shape. Or something. ???

I'm going to make a better container for the grit so they won't knock it over and just keep it available. I didn't worry about it much before as the pre-sand footing was dirt w/ a lot of little rocks in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by