Grit question?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OHMYCHICKIES, Jul 29, 2008.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    We live in an area that is very rocky, lots of rock - little and big, would I still need to give grit to my chicks? (they free range)

Also when do you know if they have an impacted crop?

I was petting the girls last night and I felt their crop full, is that normal?

(Sorry I'm new to raising chickens)

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    While my young chickens are free-ranging I'm not giving them grit. Once they go into their permanent run I plan to start giving it again. My reasoning is there is only so many pebbles and such in one area.
    Mine always have full crops at the end of the day.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:No apologies needed! We were all new at one point! I've had chickens for just 2 months and it feels like forever. If only they'd start laying. [​IMG]

re: grit - I've been offering grit since my girls were teensy chicks. I haven't offered them grit again since they've been free-ranging. They're at an in-between size where they're too big for the chick grit and too small for the hen grit. Guess they'll find what the need out in the yard. As evidenced by all the poop in the yard, they're digesting just fine.

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    My understanding is that chicks don't need grit if they're just getting chick feed and easily-digested stuff like yogurt. If they range, they should be picking some grit naturally.

5. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    Quote:No apologies needed! We were all new at one point! I've had chickens for just 2 months and it feels like forever. If only they'd start laying. [​IMG]

re: grit - I've been offering grit since my girls were teensy chicks. I haven't offered them grit again since they've been free-ranging. They're at an in-between size where they're too big for the chick grit and too small for the hen grit. Guess they'll find what the need out in the yard. As evidenced by all the poop in the yard, they're digesting just fine.

Didn't know we're able to tell by how much poop, in that case, I should be okay. My BR's have humongous poopers.

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I just throw a little on the ground in their run and they seem to find it just fine. I do this about every 4 days or so.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:It's more that the poop appears to all be the same, regardless of what they've eaten. It all looks thoroughly digested.
    [​IMG]

8. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    yup, all the same huge yucky poop [​IMG]

9. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    While we're talking about grit...can I use the same calcium fortified grit I use for the cockatiel?

10. Rosebud75

Rosebud75 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Vt
    You can just throw it on the ground for them? How much, a handful, 2 handfuls? Do/can you do the same with oyster shells?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by