Grit Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by torilovessmiles, Nov 19, 2014.

1. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    This is my first full year owning chickens, and I've been free ranging them since I got them. Our soil is extremely rocky (seriously it seems we can only grow corn and potatoes. sometimes.), so they get plenty of grit as they peck around. Well, they'll have to be locked up in the coop for much of winter. I know they need grit to digest their food. I know what it does, and kind of how it works. I'm not sure what to get for them. I've heard several different things while browsing the forum (crushed granite, oyster shell, etc.) and I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing, and the right brand. Or how, and how much, to give to them. My chickens have become my pets, so I would be really sad if I lost one this winter due to my ignorance.
    Any other winter feeding tips are greatly appreciated!

2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Oyster shell is not grit. It's for additional calcium for laying hens. It's too soft to function as grit.

Grit is commonly crushed granite, because it is rather hard, but any hard crushed rock will do. If you have a rock quarry nearby, perhaps they have a pile of just what you need. Or most feed stores should carry it. Just give them some in a free choice container. When it's empty, fill it up.

1 person likes this.
  3. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I knew oyster shell was for calcium from what people said but I wasn't sure if it had other uses as well. Thanks a lot!

4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by