Grit questions

Mikhail

Songster
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Are you supposed to just keep a small dish of grit in the cage always? Will they know not to eat too much? What does grit look like, small pebbles? And where can you buy it? Is there any at Walmart?

well I really don't know where you put the grit but I do know that they're small rocks. Hope someone tells you a better response

I put gravel/dirt from the driveway in the coop, right on the ground. No need for a container. They will eat/scratch what they need. You can also buy grit where you buy your feed.

Since my free range, I dont add grit in the warmer months.

Last edited:
We keep a container of grit and oyster shells in the coop for the big chickens. They will eat what they need. The small chicks have smaller grit and it is colored red, I suppose it is red to encourage them to peck at it. You can just sprinkle it around or put a pinch of it in their food (this is what the lady at TSC told us, to use it as you would salt and pepper on your food). They will eat what they need. We bought ours at Tractor supply. Walmart carries grit for indoor caged birds. I'm not sure, but I would think that it would work if you can't get anything else. I have also read on BYC somewhere that if your chicks are only getting chick starter that they won't need to be fed grit. We fed our first chicks we had grit (one the advice of the TSC lady), but the ones we have now haven't had any and we haven't had any problems with pasty butt or anything.

In a nutshell, you can give them the grit in a container and they will take care of the rest.

Last edited:
Are you supposed to just keep a small dish of grit in the cage always? Will they know not to eat too much? What does grit look like, small pebbles? And where can you buy it? Is there any at Walmart?

As long as you are feeding them processed feed, there is no need for grit. Only if you are feeding them whole grains and what not do they need grit.

You can buy it all feed stores. most of the time they have granite for grit.

But you could use small rocks and what not from the driveway or ?? Just scoop a shovel or so full and put in a dish of sorts and they will pick and choose what they want.

Walmart would have the stuff for parakeets and what not.

They will not too much they know. Like I say if you let them choose the size they want they will and take what they need.​

Back
Top Bottom