Grit/sand for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SamwiseGamgee, Feb 4, 2013.

1. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I have a question, just got 6 new chicks, 3 Buff Orps and 3 Aracaunas....anyway, I was doing some reading about grit for chick. The chicks are on non-medicated Manpro Chick starter and I didn't see grit as an ingredient. I also read that introducing grit early helps stimulate gizzard development, so I thought I would put a little sand in the corner of their brooder for them to mess around with...well they really like it! They are picking and pushing to get to it, but now I am worried they may just fill up on the sand and either cause problems/prevent them from eating their starter properly. Should I forego the grit, or let their instincts be their guide in diet selection. They are coming up on 1 week old.

TIA!

2. kadota48

kadota48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi, I have read websites and in chicken magazines tht mixing a little bit of grit/sand into their food is a good idea. Not too much to where they can pick out exactly what they want but so they can get a little bit of everything. I myself have never given my chicks grit and they seem to me doing fine but its all in opinion...
    Grit also acts as teeth and is a good way to keep their digestive system healthy.
    I hope this helps.

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Grit isn't necessary when feeding them their starter feed. When they start making trips outside or getting treats then they should have access to chick grit or dirt/sand to pick grit out of. Chick grit is the same as regular chicken grit, just ground finer. Sand can be substituted and they can take their dust baths in it also. If they are in the house be warned that sand will go everywhere. Mine went crazy with the grit the first time I placed it in their brooder. You might put a small amount in a dish the first few times so they don't over do it.

4. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone, I think we'll just keep it in moderation! They seem to be doing well, and have been scratching around the shavings looking for the rest of the sand that sifted through to the bottom [​IMG]

5. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I give mine dirt from outside, they happily pick out things from it, roots, grit, bugs, worms etc. they love it! Also some comes from the hen yard/run for antibodies that are left there by the older flock. Now they have started going to the yard and are very happy with that,,,,,, The flock comes and visits them, every couple of hours the head Roo is very pleased. Oh ya they are about 5 weeks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by