Grit Size and Age

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Jan 5, 2013.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I currently use insoluble crushed granite sold by MannaPro as grit. My confined birds receive a quarter handful every time pens are moved to fresh ground at roughly one week intervals during the winter months. Roughly 1/2 their diet is made up of coarse / intact grains such a corn, oats and millet with balance being a grower / finisher ration. The timing of application coincides with the uptick in consumption of coarse vegetable matter as that I suspect that requires extentive processing by gizzard as well. I have assumed they have more than enough grit with system.

How long does the grit last in the gizzard before it is small enought to pass through the rest of the digestive tract? What size is it when it passes?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.cherrystonegrit.com/grit_sizes.html
    This is the brand they sell at my feed store. On the bag it states that #1 is for chicks aged up to 4 weeks, #2 for 4-7 weeks, and #3 is for older than 7 weeks.

I hope this helps.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. cyw iar

cyw iar Out Of The Brooder

Great link, thanks for posting!

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Very interesting indeed. My birds are being offered about 10 g of grit each week yet clearly consume some each time offered. They must have some mechanism for preventing build up of too much. Trial used a diet composed similarly to what my birds get as fed, although mine eat at least some vegetable matter and free range birds may be consuming enough where such fare may repressent more than half of intake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by