Grit size

Sep 18, 2019
Lafayette, CA
I have a question about grit size. I ordered some Manna grit online and it seemed a good size for my then 15 week old flock. Then I bought some grit from the local feed store and it was tiny in comparison (and not labeled chick grit!) The grit is like 1-2 mm diameter.

what is a good size for adult hens? Mine are now 20 weeks. Is small grit doing nothing for them?

thanks!

Do you free range your birds? They'll likely go out of their way to find themselves some grit while Scratching around in dirt and rocks
Oh, thanks I should have included a little more detail. The flock is held in a run, not free ranging. The run itself has wood chips and leaves over dirt. Not much in the way of rocks.

It should be about the same size as Oyster Shells.
20161105_201833.jpg
GC

http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

There's multiple sizes of "adult" grit and that's why you're seeing a variance. Here's my grit containers, with chick on left, and then two adult sizes (different brands) in middle and right. Middle was sold as "hen grit" and right "layer grit" but that's just the manufacturer's terms - I use the middle size for pullets (roughly 8 weeks - 16 weeks) and the large for older pullets and hens.

Ideally you want to give them access to larger grit as that will last longer and be more effective.

grit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom