grit-the store said no

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by catterbug, May 28, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I went to buy grit the other day as my chicks are 3 weeks old. They told me that I shouldn't need it if I am only feeding them feed store food. She also said that if I let them free range they should be picking up their own little rocks so I shouldn't need it. I wanted to give my chicks some treats like a mashed up hard boiled egg. Will they need grit? Will I ever need it and what age should I get it at?

2. lakeontariochicks

lakeontariochicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Lake Ontario, NY
    I was told by those more experienced than me to give grit if you feed anything other than chick starter. Mashed up egg- yes, yogurt- yes. I even give my girls grit when in their run, because the grass is so thick, and they are still young that I don't know for sure if they are really getting down to the dirt and grit yet. And, they are eating an awful lot of grass! [​IMG] I say better to be safe!

I found parakeet grit weeks ago at the grocery store. I used that until they went outside, now hubby buys 50 lb. bags of sand, and the hens have a little sandbox/dirt bath/grit bowl! They love it!

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:As long as you are feeding only chicken feed as in Starter, Grower and Layer they will not need grit. It isn't till you start feeding "treats" will you need to offer grit.
    I all so believe that you will not need to offer grit if they are free ranging they will pick up any grit they might need from the ground.

Chris

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    If they are outside, they are getting "grit". At this age, they can go out on warm days, supervised, for short periods. Once they are laying, you should give them free choice oyster shell calcium ( which isn't grit, but often called it). Most feed stores don't sell grit, or not in quantity. You can get it in the pet store, for parakeets and finches, but it's small expensive boxes.

Call your feed stores and ask if they carrry it and have it available- dont' ask their advice, just ask for it, or for where you can buy it. OR-- just start taking the chicks out every day and they'll be good.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I throw grit around the yard just in case they want it. Can't hurt and may help. It's not expensive and I was told to keep it on demand in the coop. Put it out if they eat it , they eat it. If they don't it will be there if they want it.

6. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

The grain of the grit in the feed store seems so big for 1-2 month old chicks! I've also heard that sand is too fine to do the job of grit, so [​IMG]

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I can understand their point of view, BUT if you want to give treats I've been told they'll need grit.

I offer mine grit so that when I give them a treat I have no worries.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to my birdies.

Edit... the grit they offered was for lil' ones... it's quite small, bigger than sand, but I would NOT call it a pebble and it's pink of all things. The girls go through it as they need it.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  8. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    I fed my chickies starter and hard-boiled yolk with no grit, problem free. When they got a bit older I would take them outside on nice warm days and let them peck around, they had access to our regular rocky/sandy dirt. These were the only days I gave them other treats. I personally don't think you even need to bother buying grit unless you don't have clean dirt around your house. I am all for what works in nature should work for us too. Never bought grit, don't think I will...

9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Never have given my chicks grit.

Always fed chick starter/grower. Never even gave them any extras until they were 8 or 10 weeks old. By that time I had'em on the ground, so I figured they got their own grit. Even my adults, never purchased grit for them, they are on the ground, constantly picking through the dirt.

10. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I am soo new to this chicken world. But the older guy "who knows everything" at my feed store says grit too early may break their crops... i think it was crops, break something anyways, and I should wait. He's an older farmer whose opiion I really trust. And i am waiting like he has told me too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by