Grit vs Oyster Shell Question

Pics

gailbelanger

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
Paris, TX
I have a bunch of Speckled Sussex. Everything says that they lay large eggs.
My girls have been laying for about the end of January. They are almost 8 months old.
They are laying small eggs, with an occasional large egg but small seems to be their norm at the moment.
Someone told me I should give them oyster shell.
I had 2 shell-less eggs a few weeks ago it was 2 in a row but not since.

Then I'm wondering if I do give them oyster shell, do I need to give them grit?

An alternative to oyster shells is to give back the shells that you take from them. I like to crush up the egg shells and sprinkle them around in the run. My girls will take as much as they want.

Additionally, make sure you are using layer feed (for the purpose of calcium) and not using scratch or excessive treats (as these can dilute the nutrients the hens need).

Grit is granite pieces for digestion, oyster shell is for calcium. It's not the same thing, if your chickens run around outside, they usually don't need grit. Sussex tend to lay medium to large eggs. What do you feed them?
We're feeding DuMOR 16% Layer Pellet Poultry Feed.
Unfortunately we don't have stones, rocks, sand or anything in our soil. Just clay that gets cement hard as the weather warms?
I was thinking of getting a dump truck full of gravel.
I was just wondering about the oyster shell because it's the same size as grit.

Last edited:
Oyster shell dissolves and is digested, it cannot serve the same purpose as grit even if it's the same size. The granite that grit is made of is not digested, it stays in their system and grinds up their food. It's slowly worn down from the grinding and needs to be replaced periodically - that's when the chickens eat more grit.

Ideally all chickens should be provided with grit on the side, even if they free range, because it's not guaranteed that they'll always be able to find rocks of the correct size and type. Sometimes the grass mat is too thick and they can't get to bare dirt or rocks. Sometimes the ground is frozen. Sometimes it's too compacted. Better safe than sorry. Poultry grit is easily available and cheap, and a bag can last you for years. There's no good reason not to offer them some.

We're feeding DuMOR 16% Layer Pellet Poultry Feed.
Unfortunately we don't have stones, rocks, sand or anything in our soil. Just clay that gets cement hard as the weather warms?
I was thinking of getting a dump truck full of gravel.
I was just wondering about the oyster she'll because it's the same size as grit.
Gravel is huge compared to grit. Same material, but much too large for chickens.

Given how cheap commercial grit is, I'd offer both to your chickens in separate trays. They'll peck at them as they feel the need. The shell-less eggs are a definite concern because they likely have withdrawn as much calcium from their bones as they can before that happens.

Oyster shell dissolves and is digested, it cannot serve the same purpose as grit even if it's the same size. The granite that grit is made of is not digested, it stays in their system and grinds up their food. It's slowly worn down from the grinding and needs to be replaced periodically - that's when the chickens eat more grit.

Ideally all chickens should be provided with grit on the side, even if they free range, because it's not guaranteed that they'll always be able to find rocks of the correct size and type. Sometimes the grass mat is too thick and they can't get to bare dirt or rocks. Sometimes the ground is frozen. Sometimes it's too compacted. Better safe than sorry. Poultry grit is easily available and cheap, and a bag can last you for years. There's no good reason not to offer them some.
I have been giving grit also I was just wondering about if it could be one or the other. What you said makes total sense.

I make fermented food and have feeders for the pellets. I have been mixing grit on with both and putting it in their sand box. You said a bag of grit can last for years? Maybe I'm giving them too much. I have 53 birds.

Back
Top Bottom