GRIT, when do you give it????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginbart, Jun 8, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    How old should a chick be before you give it grit?

Thanks

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Here's my take on this.
    The word GRIT is used two ways:

1. Some people think of "grit" as gravel or pebbles which the bird uses to grind food in it's gizzard.
    As long as you are feeding a good commercial chick grower ration, this sort of grit shouldn't be needed.

2. The other "grit" is oyster shell grit. As the name implies, it is ground oyster shell and gives needed calcium to laying hens. Chicks dont need it, it could do them some harm and frankly, they will likely show little interest in it.

I don't think there is much good reason to give grit to chicks unless you are feeding something other than a complete ration. Say, for example, you are giving them a homebrew of oats or some other grain, exclusively. Something like that. Then they may need it.
    Chicks that aren't out with a hen to "learn the ropes," won't get the little bit of grit that she will teach them to pick up. I suggest you not monkey with their diet and just feed them a good chick ration. With that you should do fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  3. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks, I didn't think chicks were to have grit but, Firefyter-emt has a post that starts with. "After a long time in the making, we have chicks" she commented that she has grit in the cage and I wanted to get the right information for her.

4. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I'm not sure if I'm right on this, but I started giving my chicks "chick grit" that is specifically for chicks, b/c we are letting them eat bugs and the seed on grass when it grows tall enough to seed. I was told that if you feed them anything else, than chick starter, then they must have chick grit. Again I don't know if this is right, but I have been doing it for about a week now and they are perfectly healthy and seem a little more enriched since we began the bugs and grass.

5. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:OH Boy, I have 4 week olds outside and I don't have grit for them. Should I put it on the ground or in their food. Can I get it at TSC?

I am giving them a good commercial chick grower like elderoo said, do you think I should still get some? [​IMG]

6. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    OH Boy, I have 4 week olds outside and I don't have grit for them. Should I put it on the ground or in their food. Can I get it at TSC?

I am giving them a good commercial chick grower like elderoo said, do you think I should still get some?

I would say yes, but again I don't know if I am right....I sprinkle a little of it in their feed; it is supposed to be a small amount of chick grit:large amount of feed ratio... If they are outside daily, they may already be picking up small rocks and things as grit. I have also seen somewhere on here that people give playsand as grit. I'm sorry that I can't give you a definite answer. Maybe someone on here will be able to give us a definite answer. I got my chick grit at Lumber 2​

7. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh and just to clarify one thing here as my wife will attest to...

It's FireMAN not a Firefighter.. [​IMG]

Well, former... I "retired" out of the fire dept. when we moved to Connecticut. After 11 years I had enough.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    If the birds are old enough to be outside, eating grass, bugs and so on, then they are not likely to be chicks - they are pullets and cockerels.

If they are doing these things, then they are also probably getting the grit they need from scratching and tearing at the ground.
    You can give it to them if you want, and I dont think it could hurt - but I suspect it isnt needed.

9. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    i never feed my chicks grit and they are fine.

10. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I never give grit. As soon as it is warm enough to put them outside even for short periods I figure they get their own. My yard and driveway has great grit for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by