1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit! ......when, how, and how much?.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coop-er, Mar 3, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    My chicks are 2 weeks old tomorrow...I have begun giving them very SMALL amounts of treats 1-2x weekly( hard boiled eggs, mashed strawberries) I am thinking I need to incorporate a little grit in their diet now. I bought the chick grit at TSC ..... Now what? How much? Throw some on the brooder floor? Mix in with feed? Thanks again folks... Appreciate the input

2. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Put it in a separate bowl/ dish they will eat it when they need it :)

3. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks! Just wasn't sure about that one.....

4. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    I feed my baby chicks buttermilk every few days and an occasional egg yoke and don't think they need grit with soft foods. You do need to give them "chick grit" the grit for adult chickens is too large.

Even though they probably get all the grit they need from forging, I usually mix the grit in with what ever else I give my laying hens. Grit and eggs are their favorite treat.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    So far the only treat they really love is hard boiled egg-they are only 2wks old and still in brooder so they are not foraging yet. I did buy the chick grit so I guess I can just put a dish of that in there and they will eat it if they need it?

6. chickenfinch

chickenfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Minnesota
    I have fed my chicks sand in a separate container. They LOVE it! If they are foraging, they should get enough (as said by aggiemae) but I fed it anyway. Good luck!

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I gave grit in a little container and was startled by how much they ate the first day. I refilled it and they barely touched it after that. I'm sure they load their little gizzards and then don't need more until either those first rocks wear enough to pass through or they get larger and need bigger rocks. I used granite driveway gravel and a colander to shake free only the small bits for my young chicks -- I'm sure the same could be done with boxed grit.

8. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Wow- never ceases to amaze me how much I learn on this website

1 person likes this.
  9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    The 1st 2 days of life, the chick feeds off its own egg sack. Chick grit during ths time helps it digest the egg sack.
    Plus water of course. So, yes, you can feed chick grit from hatch day on.
    Best,
    Karen in western PA, USA

10. Erickajoy

Erickajoy New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    I like that colander idea with the grit- that way you know they're not getting too large of pieces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by