1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grit when how and how much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Summerfaith2, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Summerfaith2

Summerfaith2 Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2015
    Hi my first chicks are arriving on march 3rd and i need to know how, how much and when to start giving them grit as i know that my porch that they will be living in dose have some sneaky bugs that have found there way in thank you so much for your advice im so worried i could do something wrong that could hurt them.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    In a nutshell, insoluble grit is cheap and is best to provide some to all ages of birds regardless of if they can pick up their own while ranging. Most people don't offer grit to birds that are eating only poultry feed. But they can still benefit because it helps develop the gizzard.
    Poultry Grit #1 is the smallest with average size of 1/16”. It is best for turkeys age 1-5 days or chickens age 1-3 weeks
    Poultry Grit #2 averages 3/16”. Recommended for turkeys age 6-21 days and chickens age 4-6 weeks
    Poultry Grit #3 averages 5/16”. Recommended for turkeys age 3-8 weeks and chickens age 7+ weeks
    Poultry Grit #4 averages 3/8”. Recommended for turkeys age 8+ weeks
    When deciding between sizes for your birds, it is usually better to select a larger size than smaller.

It is placed in a separate container or scattered in a prominent place on the soil.

Here's more information
    http://www.tccmaterials.com/pdf/CSgritdata.pdf

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  3. Summerfaith2

Summerfaith2 Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2015
    Thank you for your help

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    C Canoe: Did you mean turkeys or chickens? I agree, grit is a good idea. But, be sure that your chicks are eating feed well before giving them grit.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The above schedule has the appropriate size for turkeys or chickens depending on age.

I think first food and first grit are synchronous. That's how a hen would teach it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by