Grit

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by someguyhere, Sep 19, 2016.

1. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    I was wondering about grit for my little ducklings. they are on their 4th week of life or maybe a little older they seem to be getting feathers and advancing a little faster than most the stuff i read. anyways my ducklings spend all their time outside in the run during the day and spent their first night outside last night. I built a really nice very secure outside brooder with a heat lamp for them to lock them up tight at night. it got down to about 45 degrees but was nice and warm inside for them. I was a bit worried but they were up and ready to play as soon as i got up. anyways back to my original question about grit. they eat a lot of everything ! yesterday I was sitting out with them and a grasshopper jumped by and one of the ducks snagged it up up faster than you could blink an eye. I also notice they eat a lot of dirt, well not a lot but they are constantly pecking in the ground for something and im sure they are eating little rocks and bugs all day. do i need to provide grit for these little guys or is all the extra they are randomly picking up through the day enough ?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Not a duck authority but the way mine are constantly boring holes, I think they get get plenty of grit. I know when I dump out their water pan or pool and put in fresh there is always a fair amount of dirt, grit, gravel, and even grape sized rocks they have deposited when swishing their beaks in the water.

1 person likes this.
  3. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    thats what I was thinking also. thanks for the input :) its like having kids all over again, you want to do the right thing but you dont want to be over protective either. fun times :)

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I always provide grit in a bowl in the run...Mine do free range also but they do still eat the grit....So i would say that you should provide a bowl of grit and let them choose if they need it or not?

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by