Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ogdenfarms22, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    Since grit is technically just rock can I place it out in the dust bath or run area? Like sprinkled? I want to let them naturally pick up the grit and I intend on planting some parley, oregano, and lavender out in their run. Maybe I can add it around the plants?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can sprinkle, scatter the grit in the run, they will pick up what they need. Some people prefer to place grit in a little cup/container attached to fencing. Mine will take some grit from the cup I have for them, but they scatter it about, so.....[​IMG]

Planting herbs are a wonderful idea for your chickens, but I would plant theoutside the run. Chickens will completely destroy the plants so your efforts will be in vain.

Just my thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They'll eat the seed before it can sprout unless you install chicken salad bars (wood frames with chicken wire on top to protect the planted ground from being scratched up).

And yes, you can sprinkle the grit in the run if you want. I put it in a can on the wall for chicks just so I can see when they need more. The big gals get theirs when out ranging (we have a gravel driveway that's crushed granite and limestone).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

1/2" hardware cloth for grass-like leaved plants(sod and grains)
    1 x 2" fencing for larger leaved plants.
    When fresh planting seed I stack a second frame on top until roots are established or they pull the whole plant out.

I like the one at the top best and am converting the others over.
    Ripped a half inch off the 2x4's and used it to cover mesh edges to avoid cut feet and subsequent infection (bumblefoot).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    Thanks for the visuals! I will def. Be making some of these!

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Great aart! I had forgotten about those!

Pictures do make it all come together[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by